Wednesday, August 31, 2016

What do we want to learn about this year?


 Something I believe is very important is asking students (especially the older kiddos) what they are interested in learning in art class. I get a lot of the same answers year after year, but sometimes I'm surprised. This year, I asked grades 4-6 to participate in a class discussion to help me compile a list! I had each table work in a small group with a whiteboard to write at least 3 things they would like to learn in art this year. Drawing is always very popular, and I got many requests to teach them "how to draw" a bunch of different things, from people to animals to buildings. But I also got some responses that surprised and excited me!

Some students requested a space-themed project, while others suggested an optical illusion piece. Many students were interested in learning how to write in a variety of different fonts or writing styles (typography) and they also expressed interest in mastering specific materials such as paint and colored pencil. Most groups wanted to learn how to draw cartoons, Pokemon, video game characters, or their favorite celebrities. Most of these ideas and suggestions are already a large part of my curriculum and lessons but I'm super excited to add the few new ideas I got this year!














No comments:

Post a Comment